Allianz Assistance

Contact our UK-based team: :


Can you cover non-UK residents?

No – we can only provide cover for persons who currently reside in the UK, For persons residing outside of the UK, please click here for details of our specialist policy available to persons living anywhere in the world.

How do I find out which country is classed as Europe or Worldwide?

Geographical Areas
- United Kingdom (UK) only
Whilst insurance is available for holidays in the UK (England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland), Section A - Emergency medical expenses shall not apply.
- Europe
Europe means the continent of Europe west of the Ural Mountains, and includes the Isle of Man, the Channel Islands, Iceland, Jordon, Madeira, Republic of Ireland, the Canary Islands, Azores and Mediterranean Islands, as well as the countries bordering the Mediterranean.
- Worldwide excluding North America & Mexico
North America means the USA and Canada.
a. For any period of cover purchased Area 3 can include a single day/night stop-over anywhere in the world for both outward and return travel.
b. If the period of cover purchased is two months or more Area 3 con be extended to include a maximum of 6 days/nights anywhere in the world.
- Worldwide including North America & Mexico
North America means the USA and Canada.
These Definitions are provided in the policy wording and they can also be viewed by clicking on the help button alongside destinations during the online quote process.

What is an Excess?

This is the amount you will have to pay towards the cost of each claim under the policy after the application of the policy limits.

Can I remove the excess?

Our Single trip and Annual Multi-trip policies offer an excess waiver option. This removes any excesses which apply under the various sections of the policy. You would not be responsible for paying anything in the event of a claim if you have taken out the excess waiver.

Do you cover Repatriation?

Repatriation is included under Section A -Emergency Medical Expenses of the policy. In all cases, you must contact the Insurer’s medical emergency assistance company in the event you need to be repatriated back to the UK. The assistance company must give their approval and will be able to make the necessary arrangements on your behalf.

Is baggage covered?

Baggage is covered as standard on all our policies. Terms and conditions apply. Please see policy wording for full details.

Would I be covered if I had to cancel my trip due to ill health?

The policy provides cover under Section D – Cancellation or Curtailment, due to ill health, subject to the policy terms and conditions.

What is covered?

The travel insurance products that we offer provide cover under various sections. They include Medical Expenses, Personal Effects and Baggage, and Personal Liability. Please refer to the relevant policy wording for full details.

What is a pre-existing medical condition?

a. Any respiratory condition (relating to the lungs or breathing), heart condition, stroke, Crohn's disease, epilepsy, allergy, cancer, psychiatric or psychological condition (including anxiety, stress and depression) for which you have received treatment (including surgery, tests or investigations by your doctor or a consultant/specialist or prescribed medication) in the last five years.
b. Any medical condition for which you have received surgery, in-patient treatment or investigations in a hospital or clinic within the last 12 months, or are prescribed medication.

Do you cover pre-existing medical conditions?

The medical screening service is optional for those persons wishing to establish if additional cover may be offered to include pre-existing medical conditions. You can either disclose your known medical conditions online at or by calling the medical screening helpline team. You will be asked for your personal and travel details. Please have your insurance policy number to hand if known if calling the medical screening helpline service.

You will be advised whether the pre-existing medical condition may be covered, an optional additional premium may be quoted and whether any amendments will be made to the policy terms and conditions. If terms can be provided for the condition and you elect to take up the offer of the additional cover, you will be given a medical screening reference number and a letter will be sent to you upon receipt of payment. Any additional premiums must be paid directly to the medical screening service.

Should I take an GHIC (replacement to the EHIC) with me when I travel?

Yes – if you are travelling to, or through an EU destination. By taking and utilising your GHIC, in the event of a claim for medical expenses, we will not deduct the policy excess where your claim is reduced due to its use.

How do I obtain a Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC)?

You can apply for a Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC). either online through or, by telephoning 0300 330 1350 (Mon to Fri, 8am – 6pm and Sat, 9am – 3pm).
IMPORTANT NOTE – BEWARE OF UNOFFICIAL WEBSITES who require you to pay a fee to process your application or fast track your application. The GHIC card is free and cannot be fast tracked.

Are we covered by our travel insurance if we wanted to drive while abroad?

The policy covers you whilst driving abroad so long as you are not racing. Section B - Personal Liability will not apply. We do not provide cover for the vehicle as this should have been arranged with an appropriate motor insurance for this.

Do I need winter sports cover if I’m skiing?

Yes – for Single trip and Annual Multi-trip policies you will need to select the Winter Sports option and pay the additional premium. Section H – Winter Sports extension will than be included as part of your cover.
You are also covered for driving a snowmobile under the optional winter sports extension. Please see policy wording for full details.
No cover for ski racing, jumping, freestyling, ice hockey or the use of bobsleighs or skeletons.
Winter sports activities using a recognised piste are only insured if the appropriate premium has been paid and is shown on the booking invoice or validation certificate (as applicable). Random 'off piste' winter sports activities will only be insured if, in addition to the requirement noted above, they are with a qualified instructor or in a group of not less than three persons in possession of working communications or portable telephones. There is no cover for winter sports activities against local authority advice.

Can I arrange cover to ride motorbikes over 125cc?

If you are driving a Motorbike (or Quad-bike) up to 125cc you are covered subject to the standard terms and conditions. If the Motorbike (or Quad-bike) has an engine capacity above 125cc or if motorbike touring, you will require our agreement and payment an additional premium. Please refer to the ‘contact us’ page.
Please note: You must hold the appropriate full UK driving license. There is no Personal Liability cover whilst driving a motorbike or cover for the motorbike itself.
You must wear a helmet at all times if you are driving or are riding pillion.
Please see the policy wording for full details.

Am I covered for safaris?

Safari travel in a vehicle, on horseback or on foot is covered under the standard terms and conditions.

Is scuba diving covered?

Yes – cover is automatically provided for scuba diving activities, up to a maximum of 40 metres in depth. This includes the use of hyperbaric or decompression chambers if deemed medically necessary. Cover does not extend to solo diving or wreck diving. Whether you are hiring or taking your own equipment, make sure that you have adequate insurance cover for the equipment itself.

Do you cover children to travel alone?

Single Trip policy – children can travel alone, but they will be charged the standard adult rate.
Annual Multi-Trip policy – Independent travelling alone is permitted for children on Family and single parent family policies provided your child is they are living in the same household and travelling in accordance with any carrier requirements and are either accompanied by another responsible adult or are staying with and being met at their destination by a responsible adult.

Can you travel separately on an annual multi-trip policy?

Yes – a couple may travel independently of one another, but children must travel either accompanied by another responsible adult or are staying with and being met at their destination by a responsible adult.

Is an annual multi-trip policy suitable for long stay trips?

Our Europe Annual Multi-Trip policy allows you to travel on unlimited occasions for up to 31 days for any one trip.
Our Worldwide Annual Multi-Trip policy allows you to travel on unlimited occasions for up to 70 days for any one trip if you are aged 65 years or under. Travel for those aged 66-74 years is restricted to 31 days for any one trip.

Is there a restriction on how many times I can travel on an annual multi-trip policy?

You may travel as many times as you wish during the period of insurance, providing each trip is no than to maximum trip duration of the policy you purchased.

Do I have to tell you every time I travel on an annual multi-trip policy?

No, on an annual policy you do not need to inform us when you are travelling.

I am taking a large group abroad. Are they covered?

Please contact us to arrange a suitable quotation, as we may be able to offer an alternative policy appropriate to the type of trip being undertaken.

What do I do if my money or possessions are stolen whilst I'm away?

You will need to obtain a police report or any other independent report within a reasonable time frame 24 hours, then contact our claims team when you return to the UK. Our policy does not provide cover for replacement money to be sent to you whilst still on your holiday.

The price quoted - is it the total or is it per person?

All prices quoted are in total for the number of travellers you have entered when obtaining your quotation and include Insurance Premium Tax (IPT).

What does IPT mean?

IPT stands for Insurance Premium Tax and is automatically included in all our prices at the current rate of 20%. This is a Government Tax.

If I wanted to buy a policy, are there any forms to fill out and send to you?

You do not need to complete any forms or send anything to us. We issue all documents online and you are instantly covered. It’s as easy as that. PLEASE NOTE: if you require specialist cover with respect to travelling against FCDO advice, you may be asked will need to complete an application form.

How quickly do I receive the documents?

All your policy documents will be emailed to you as soon as your purchase is complete. If you lose your policy documents, our Customer Portal will allow you to view and email you documents or you can email and we will email them to you.

Do I have to take all the documents with me when I travel?

You will need to be able to access your policy documents as they contain all the necessary information including what to do in the event of a Medical Emergency requiring contact with the 24-hour medical assistance. The easiest way to access your policy documents is via the Customer Portal. Details of how to access the Customer Portal are provided at the end of the sales process. Your policy documents will have been emailed to you after you purchased your policy which will also allow you to print the documentation yourself.

Is there any FCDO advice available for my travel destination?

Below are links to the FCDO website and the Governments Travel Aware website where official up-to-date information can be found, including helpful travel advice & tips for British nationals overseas.
Travel Advice by Country, including warnings about ‘no-go’ countries, countries where only essential travel is recommended, the latest travel updates, and travel advice country by country.
Travel Aware, is an ongoing campaign to help Brits stay safe and healthy abroad.

Does my policy cover travel against FCDO advice?

No – we cannot cover any claims arising directly or indirectly from you travelling against British Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) advice or where it is deemed unsafe for You to travel at the time of your departure. If you require cover for travel to a country/region/area where the FCDO are advising against travel, please click here to open the Travel Against FCDO page.

Is your website secure?

Yes, our website is secure; when you press the debit/credit card button you will be able to see the padlock in your browser.

For Great Value Travel Insurance, There is Only One Provider.